I made garlic knots to go with broccoli cheddar soup tonight — it’s just a basic dough like pizza crust (I made a half recipe — ~2 cups of flour). After the first rise, I cut the dough into eight pieces and rolled them out into long strands. Anya tied the knots, then we let them sit and rise for half an hour or so. Basted the knots with garlic butter before and after baking.
Baked Breaded FishCourse: FoodCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
4 fillets of tilapia
- Panko Mixture
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Egg Mixture
1 tablespoon chili seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil
- Flour Mixture
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat the oven to 425 F
- Oil a baking tray
- Blend the egg mixture ingredients in a bowl
- Blend the flour mixture ingredients in a bowl
- Blend the panko mixture ingredients in a bowl
- Dip fish filet in flour mixture, then egg mixture. Then dip in panko mixture and press to ensure crumbs adhere to fish.
- Place each filet on oiled baking tray
- Using convection oven at 400 degrees F, bake for 15 minutes, turn fish, and bake for 5 more minutes
- Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges
Cheesy Baked CavatappiCourse: DinnerCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
1 lb cavatappi
1 package Beyond Meat sausage
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
28 oz tin petite diced tomatoes
9 oz frozen spinach
1 cup ricotta
1 tbsp sea salt
1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 cup mozzarella
- Boil water and cook pasta for 10 minutes
- In a separate pan, sauté sausage in a little olive oil
- Add onion to pan and cook for a few minutes
- Add garlic to pan and cook for a minute, until fragrant
- Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking water. Put tinned tomatoes in pasta pot and cook over medium-high heat until most of the water evaporates.
- Remove tomatoes from heat and stir in ricotta. Add sausage/onion/garlic mixture
- Squeeze water from thawed frozen spinach and mix spinach into sauce.
- Stir in 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Add pasta cooking water as needed to make a thick sauce.
- Add noodles and gently stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and broil until cheese is browned and bubbling.
Red Lentil Coconut Stew RecipeCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
2 T oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 large onion, diced
1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce (adjust to taste)
1 1/2 cups red lentils
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 can coconut milk
2 cups vegetable stock
- Heat a 6 qt sauté pan over medium heat and add oil. Sprinkle salt over oil.
- Sauté onion for three minutes, then add 1 teaspoon of chili garlic sauce
- Stir in lentils and stir to coat with oil
- Add carrots. Stir in stock and coconut milk.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until lentils are soft. Add salt and chili garlic sauce as desired.
- Serve over jasmine rice.
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup carob powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
Place everything in the bowl of a food processor and run until you’ve got a smooth paste.
To get really smooth hummus, I cook the garbanzo beans in a pressure cooker for about 35 minutes with at least 20 minute of natural depressurization.
Anya says these taste like peanut butter / chocolate / oat cookies. And it’s great for dipping anything that goes well with chocolate (strawberries, apples).
I made a homemade dessert inspired by Almond Joy bars. It’s got three layers – coconut, sliced almonds, and either chocolate or carob.
For the coconut layer, combine the following in a food processor and pulse until you’ve got a somewhat creamy well blended mix.
3 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
Line a pie pan with clingfilm and press coconut mixture into pan. Top with sliced almonds.
I then made both carob and chocolate sauce to spread on top. Melt 1/4 cup of coconut oil. Add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. Then stir in either cocoa powder or carob powder until the mixture has the consistency of melted chocolate.
Spread chocolate or carob (I made it with half chocolate and half carob). Refrigerate for an hour so the chocolate sets.