I spent a lot of time picking out what to make for Anya’s first birthday cake — chocolate doesn’t seem like a good thing to feed a little kid. I wanted it to have flavor — not just eating sugar. I found an old fashioned gingerbread cake recipe that looked perfect — a lot of the sweetness comes from molasses. Anya likes pumpkin puree spiced with ginger and cinnamon, so it’s a familiar flavor. Plus it’s cake 🙂
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Grease and flour an 8” round cake pan
- Sift together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the butter, molasses and egg and beat by hand for two minutes.
- Add the boiling water.
- Beat for another two minutes and pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the thickest part comes out clean.