Tag: k8s

Tracking Down Which Pod is Exhausting IP Connections

We’ve been seeing an error that prevents clients from connecting to Postgresql servers – basically that all available connections are in use and the remaining connections are reserved for superuser and replication activity.

First, we need to determine what the connection limit is

SELECT setting, source, sourcefile, sourceline FROM pg_settings WHERE name = 'max_connections';

And if there are any per-user connection limits – a limit of -1 means unlimited connections are allowed.

SELECT rolname, rolconnlimit FROM pg_roles

The next step is to identify what connections are exhausting available connections – are there a lot of long-running queries? Are there just more active queries than anticipated? Are there a bunch of idle connections?

SELECT pid, usename, client_addr, client_port 
 ,to_char(pg_stat_activity.query_start, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MI:SS') as query_start
 , state, query 
FROM pg_stat_activity
-- where state = 'idle'
-- and usename = 'app_user'
order by query_start;

In our case, there were over 100 idle connections using up about 77% of the available connections. Auto-vacuum, client read operations, and replication easily filled up the remaining available connections.

Because the clients keeping these idle connections open are an app running in a Kubernetes cluster, there’s an extra layer of complexity identifying where the connection is actually sourced. When you view the list of connections from the Postgresql server’s perspective, “client_addr” is the worker hosting the pod.

On the worker server, use conntrack to identify the actual source of the connection – the IP address in “-d” is the IP address of the Postgresql server. To isolate a specific connection, select a “client_port” from the list of connections (37900 in this case) and grep for the port. You will see the src IP of the individual POD.

lhost1750:~ # conntrack -L -f ipv4 -d 10.24.29.140 -o extended | grep 37900
ipv4 2 tcp 6 86394 ESTABLISHED src=10.244.4.80 dst=10.24.29.140 sport=37900 dport=5432 src=10.24.29.140 dst=10.24.29.155 sport=5432 dport=37900 [ASSURED] mark=0 use=1
conntrack v1.4.4 (conntrack-tools): 27 flow entries have been shown.

Then use kubeadm to identify which pod is assigned that address:

lhost1745:~ # kubectl get po --all-namespaces -o wide | grep "10.244.4.80"
kstreams kafka-stream-app-deployment-1336-d8f7d7456-2n24x 2/2 Running 0 10d 10.244.4.80 lhost0.example.net <none> <none>

In this case, we’ve got an application automatically scaling up that can have 25 connections help open and idle … so there isn’t really a solution other than increasing the number of available connections to a number that’s appropriate given the number of client connections we plan on leaving open. I also want to enact a connection limit on the individual account – if there are 250 connections available on the Postgresql server, then limit the application to 200 of those connections.

 

Reverse engineering Kubernetes YAML’s

Ideally, the definitions for Kubernetes objects are all safely stored in your code repository — you can easily revert back to the previous, working iteration, you can see who changed what, and you’ve got a copy of it all available if super electromagnet man takes a stroll through the data center. Ideally.

Here, in the real world, we took over management of a k8s implementation that’s been in service for about a year now. And, fortunately, the production YAMLs are all in the repo. The development system, on the other hand, isn’t. Logic dictates that the config would be similar, but it’s always good to check.

I wrote a quick script to dump YAML files for all of the configmaps, cron jobs, deployments, horizontal pod autoscaling, jobs, persistent volumes, persistent volume claims, secrets, service accounts, services, and stateful sets.

#!/bin/bash
nsbase="namespace/"
for ns in $(kubectl get namespaces -o=name)
do
        ns=${ns#${nsbase}}
        for n in $(kubectl get --namespace=$ns -o=name configmap,cronjob,deployment,hpa,job,pv,pvc,secret,serviceaccount,service,statefulset)
        do
            yamlfile="${ns}/${n}.yaml"
            mkdir -p $(dirname ${ns}/${n})
            kubectl get --namespace=$ns -o=yaml $n > $yamlfile
        done
done