- flat iron steak
- 4T butter
- 3 cloves roasted garlic
- 16 oz mushrooms
- 1 large onion
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups beef broth (pressure cooker: beef bones, carrot trimmings, onion trimmings, celery trimmings, potato peels)
- 1-2T mustard spice blend
- 2-5T porcini mushroom powder
- 2T corn starch
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- package wide egg noodles cooked for lowest time on package directions
Mustard spice blend: mortar together 1c brown mustard seed, 1T salt, 3 bay leaves, 1t rosemary needles, 1/2t sage
- Slice beef across the grain into strips. Season with salt & pepper. Divide meat into small batches so pieces can be placed in pan with an inch between them. Divide 2T of butter into same number of pieces. Put pan on medium heat (6), melt a piece of butter then sear a batch of meat. Remove from pan and set aside. Repeat with remaining batches.
- Slice mushrooms. Divide into 4 batches and sprinkle with salt. Divide the remaining butter into four batches. Melt a piece of butter in pan, saute mushrooms until they become golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside. Repeat with remaining batches.
- Slice onion into thin pieces about 1″ long. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add flour to onions & stir to coat them in flour. Remove from pan.
- Deglaze pan with 1/2c of beef broth. Add mushroom powder and spice blend. Stir to remove any lumps.
- Mush garlic cloves and stir in.
- Lower heat to simmer. Add remaining beef broth. Return onions to pan and stir to distribute flour.
- Put corn starch in a bowl or glass. Add *just* enough water to turn it into oobleck. Drizzle into pan, while stiring, to form a thick gravy.
- Return beef and mushrooms to pan and simmer until beef is cooked.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Serve over egg noodles.